Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Applause

At the end of class, yesterday, the most amazing thing happened. My students applauded.  I can't tell you how absolutely flattered I felt, and humbled.  In my teaching practice, my goal is always to find ways to connect with students as they discover or uncover "knowledge".

My class is comprised of 5 students. My students, for whatever reasons, have demonstrated that they cannot participate, politely, in most other classrooms.  Thus, I have the pleasure of dedicating my day to their education.  I am their teacher.

On Fridays, we vary our routine to include different ways of reinforcing what has been learned Monday through Thursday of each week.  This can include educational gaming, experiments, and other student-selected curricular choices.  In many instances we are either engaged around a small table or on the floor.  Doesn't sound very studious, does it?

Yesterday, a Friday, students were at there desks.  I  decided to go "spelunking" during social studies (most people call it using the socratic questioning method).  Spelunking can be a rather tricky process. The goal must be very well thought out and the questions must help lead students to make connections, generalize concepts, or express novel ideas about the topic in question (pun intended).

As a teacher, there is nothing more rewarding than watching students think, become excited to share their thoughts, and then smile when they construct their own knowledge.  Yesterday, that is what happened.  The round of applause that I received from my students was kind and affirming.  The real gift, however, was watching each student uncover their love of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe in a reader