Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Finding Passion in School? Really?!?

Yesterday's post was all about me.  My artistic pursuits.  My connection to sand and soul when immersed in this art form.  Except that it wasn't all about me.  It was about each of us.  It was about our children, their lives, and their educational experiences.

When exploring my passion, I begin to see the world through an entirely different lens.  There is no negativity, no limits.  I begin to rely more on my gut and less on facts and reason.  Surely, all of us need a blend of both.  

In the world of schools, students never encounter a course called, "Finding my Passion".  We leave that exploration to the family and in many cases, to chance.  But, wouldn't the world be a better place, if we helped students to consciously find and cultivate their passions? 

Analysis, data, and evidence dominate the teaching and learning culture.  Of course, all of these skills are important and need to be developed.  But, couldn't we also give 10% of the school day to a curriculum that helps students to explore the activities that excite and delight them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe in a reader